+ 001 0231 123 32



All demo content is for sample purposes only, intended to represent a live site. Please use the RocketLauncher to install an equivalent of the demo, all images will be replaced with sample images.

In July of 1948 Bishop Malloy established St. Louis de Montfort as a mission of Infant Jesus Parish, Port Jefferson. Fr. Floyd J. Marieau, S.M.M., Pastor, celebrated Mass in the upstairs room of the Community House in Sound Beach. Soon the congregation grew so large that the location had to be moved. For the next four years, Mass was celebrated in Boyle’s (later re-named the Heartlin Inn).

In 1951 a ten-acre site on New York Avenue was acquired and in the following year the little wooden frame church was built. The Daughters of Wisdom founded a convent in Scott’s Beach in 1956 to be used as a retirement home for their aged sisters. They continue to be a powerhouse of prayer for our parish.

During the next eighteen years, St. Louis de Montfort prospered under the dedicated care and service of the Montfort Fathers. The community grew together in Christ, but everyone longed and prayed for the day when this little mission would be a parish with a resident pastor.

In November 1971 Bishop Walter P. Kellenberg elevated the mission of St. Louis de Montfort to the status of parish and assigned a pastor. The installation ceremony was held on November 3, 1971 and St. Louis became a parish and received its founding pastor, Fr. John A. McGuire. He asked for the first time, “What’s the good news?” That was not the last time that question was asked in our church!

The good news spread. The number of parishioners attending Masses became so large that soon St. Louis outgrew the little white church. Masses were held in neighboring restaurants, a movie house, the MOD Recreation Center and a tent! Under the direction of Monsignor McGuire, the parishioners continued to pray, celebrate sacraments and work together. In April 1978 the new church was dedicated. The cross, overlooking New York Avenue, is the only remnant of the little white church which was destroyed by fire in 1979. As the number of parishioners grew to over 2000 families there was a need for a parish center. Once again the parishioners worked together to achieve two goals: to build a new parish center and to build a rectory. In 1990 the new rectory and offices were opened. In 1991 the building of the Parish Center was completed.